Re: My (not so good) user experience with gnome and networking

On Mon, 2014-04-21 at 19:03 +0200, Jonas Thiem wrote:
it isn't possible to turn off just one wifi card to force the use
of just one of them, since turning off one card through the gnome
shell user menu (clearly associated
with one specific wifi card in the gnome shell menu) turns off ALL
wifi cards - something that rather stumped me.

Yeah, this is a clearly a bug. If you have time, could you please report
it on bugzilla.gnome.org against the gnome-shell product,
network-indicator component, and add my email address to the CC list?
(I'm away from my affected computer right now.) Please include the
version of NetworkManager that you are using (try 'rpm -qi
NetworkManager' or 'dpkg -s network-manager')

Gnome 3/networkmanager with cable/lan networking:

I plugged in the lan cable and had trouble with the internet, so I
wanted to check on the settings - but there is no entry for it? Wifi
is obvious to find, but lan simply won't appear. Is
it even connected? Does it work? Gnome shell doesn't appear to tell
me. I got further by scratching up my command line knowledge to use
"ifconfig". To find out more through the GUI, I had to come up with
the genius idea to
click wifi>"wifi settings" or check out inside the Airplane mode menu.
That seems like a rather unobvious place to find that.

Unfortunately you're using the one version where the wired network
indicator isn't present. It was killed in the status menu redesign for
GNOME 3.10, then restored for 3.12 in response to negative user
feedback.