Re: Why not add some more convenient features to Shell?

On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 00:08 +0530, Rahul Jain wrote:
Hiya, it seems to me that everything in Shell has only one autistic,
inflexible way of doing things. I think Shell is polished enough by
now, so why not start adding more features?

You can dynamically add features to shell using extensions.  Someone
could develop an extension to do what you propose.  And shell itself
remains clean and svelt.

But your extension will be complicated - you'll need a config-ui to let
users defined those applications groups.

For example, the right click desktop menu can be utilized for a very
productive, yet clean menu. But currently is fat and useless.

     A. I dunno, I let nautilus manage my desktop, so there is stuff
        there, and a useful menu.  Although the utility is somewhat
        limited because most of the time the desktop is 99.44% obscured.
        But icons-on-the-desktop are the easiest way to manage [for
        ejection, etc...] removable media.

I'm all for touch-friendly,

<rant>
Argh!  Give it up people.  There is nothing about "touch-friendly" that
is *dictating* GNOME Shell.  How are an awesome suite of hot-keys like
Alt-F1, Alt-F2, Alt-Tab, and Alt-` "touch friendly"????
All the GNOME-Shell-Is-For-Tablets R@&*&*(@*(R*(@ bull-crap must DIE DIE
DIE.
</rant>

but not at the expense of real productive computing,.

Nothing in GNOME shell is "at the expense of real productive computing"

 Not looking to troll or anything but here is a simple suggestion
(mockup) to show you what a couple extra options to right menu can
bring in terms of convenience and productivity.
http://i42.tinypic.com/bfqejl.jpg
See what I mean? People will probably love little things like this
that can make lives easier. And look how beautifully it matches the
Shell's slick aesthetics! ;) So I just wanted to say, start adding
stuff now, even little enhancements. Put it out there. It's the little
conveniences and time-savers that make users happy.

See http://extensions.gnome.org -> there are lots of things you can add
it.