Override new GNOME Window settings like for Nautilus

The generous folks at the nautilus list suggested both this suggestion for a problem that many find extremely annoying and also with the name of this email list so that I could drop this information to you.

Recently nautilus and others have been changed to a very annoying type window bar without the close button making it very annoying to minimize windows or to close them.

The nautilus list came up with this information which I am sharing with you, but I also am asking that some sort of configuration setting be made available for those who wish the old style windows which were much easier for those who want "ONE CLICK" close.

Since Windows Close is one of those things we do constantly and if we like the mouse, it is very irritating with the new system.  Please have some configuration setting that will override the new settings.

Here is the message from Nautilus List:

Hello, D.J.J.

As was already said, nautilus is not the only application hidding its title bar (and the close button along with it). Actually, nautilus adopted this only six months later than some others.

The main idea is hidding the titlebar, because it wastes space on the screen for no purpose(the name of the folder is already shown inside the window). This had the side effect of losing the close button.

The plan is to place the close button inside the window. Allan's blog post has some example mockups of how this would look like: https://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/design-goings-on/

So, your concern is likely to be addressed in a future release.

But if you want a solution now, you can get the titlebar and the close button back with this extension: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/515/ignore_request_hide_titlebar/

I have tried the extension and it works nicely.  It adds the buttons above the new type window, it would be nice to remove the whole new type window "additions" but this is good enough and a good compromise in that it gets rid of the most annoying part of the "new look".

Thanks,
David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA  Radio-Officers Group -- Join CW email list -- Historic Morse Recordings
Gopher Hole:  gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher gateway
Chat Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr (@) msn.com AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

=30=