Re: AppMenu design feedback

On 23/02/13 00:30, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:47 AM, Donato Marrazzo <donato marrazzo gmail com> wrote:
Please remove AppMenu!

If I could make a suggestion.  When making such requests, it's best to simply state the problem and not recommend the solution.  I for one am not so arrogant to know what the solution should be.  In this case, the problem is for the designer to solve.  It's their design.  :-)

There are many mails in the thread stating the con's. The thing is, i can't think of any pro's, maybe someone can enlighten me? :)

The feature as it currently is implemented is just annoying if you use anything other than a single small screen. If it's there to stay, please fix the fallback mode to not introduce a whole extra menubar with just one entry. Like merge the menus or put it in the title bar.

If you make the case that something is not fulfilling or violating the design goals then it should be put in as a bug.  Then it is up to the designers and the maintainer to figure out what the right solution is.  It might be the correct solution is remove AppMenu, or perhaps the solution is to fix X11 in some shape way or form.

there are quite a few bug reports concerning this ... could'nt find one with useful developer feedback (except to enable the fallback mode)

A lot of people seem think that the lower layers are immutable and cannot be changed to support the design.  But they can be, so you need to think bigger.  A lot of the designs for notifications for instance required changing X instead of scrapping the whole thing and reverting.

sri