Re: increase space for windows

On 6 November 2012 22:59, Ryan Sipes <ryan myownlinux com> wrote:
Are there plans to implement this into mainline Gnome? As I too find this to be a good way to ensure more screen space. Something much appreciated on smaller form factors, my netbook for instance, where every pixel counts.

Doubt it - it's a little unstable at times and not everyone wants that behaviour anyway - that's why it's there as an extension for it rather than being inbuilt (like Ubuntu's maximus package is a package, not part of core Unity).

However please distinguish what maximus does from what you want: Maximus removes the window decoration (top titlebar) of maximized windows. That's it. Szabo is talking about removing decoration *and* combining the application's menus into the top panel.

Some applications do this currently (gnome 3.4+), for example Empathy and Web (Epiphany). I'm unsure what the plans are to implement this, but I don't think it will happen (plus there is only one menu on the top panel in gnome-shell, so what do you do when the application has heaps?)

You may have some success with this globalmenu gnome shell extension[0] and that page has further links down the bottom including to a bugzilla report. Unsure if this extension has been updated for 3.6 yet, but if you were going to help out with some implementation as mentioned in the original email, this seems like a good place to start.

[0]: http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/

Ryan Sipes
ryan myownlinux com