Giving windows a maximized look from an extension

I'm investigating giving a "maximized" or "tiled" look to windows
managed by shellshape, so they can be styled more compactly [1].

It seems like perhaps setting the META_FRAME_MAXIMIZED or
META_FRAME_TILED_* flag is what I want, but I can't figure out how to
do that (or if it would work how I want - note that I just want the
look of a maximized window, but not the behaviour or dimensions).

MetaWindow has a get_frame() method according to the Meta-3.0.gir
installed on my system, but

> global.screen.get_active_workspace().list_windows()[0].get_frame

is undefined in looking glass. Is it worth looking into this? If I got
my hands on the frame, would I be able to do what I want? Is there any
other way of communicating information like this to a metacity style?

Cheers,
 - Tim.

[1] https://github.com/gfxmonk/shellshape/issues/48