Re: Diagnosing slow session startup

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Tim Cuthbertson <tim gfxmonk net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure that this quite belongs here, but my gnome session
> (running gnome-shell on fedora 17) takes upwards of 45 seconds before
> the top panel appears after logging in. Does anyone know how I can
> diagnose what might be taking so long? Ideally I'd like something like
> systemd's bootchart (but for session login), but maybe there are some
> gnome-shell or gnome-session diagnostics I can turn on to get some
> logging?

bootchart works fine for this. What I've done when I was looking at
login speed recently is to
run

bootchartd start

on the console before logging in, and then I have an autostart file to
stop it once login is done:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Stop bootchart
Exec=gnome-terminal -e "sh -c 'sudo bootchartd stop; sleep 30'"
Terminal=false
Type=Application
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Applications

You can probably do without the terminal as well...