Re: enabling a single gnome shell extension breaks the system

Il 03 marzo 2012 23:08, Pavlos Parissis <pavlos parissis gmail com> ha scritto:
> On 2 March 2012 16:57, Giovanni Campagna <scampa giovanni gmail com> wrote:

>>> OK removing the package for the extension I am using solved the problem.
>>> I noticed that the auto-move-window doesn't work on 3.2.2.1, is it a know issue?
>>
>> Doesn't work in what sense? Does it crash or doesn't it move windows
>> in the expected position?
>
> Windows were not opened on configured desktop
>> auto-move-windows was using GSettings in 3.2.0, but I had to remove
>> that to support installation through extensions.gnome.org, so you need
>> to manually modify the JS file at
>> ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/auto-move-windows gnome-shell-extensions gcampax github com/extension.js.
>> GSettings support comes back for 3.3.3, with UI starting at 3.3.90.
>
> Can you be more specific on what I have to change on extension.js?

The should be a line "const APPLICATION_LIST = []". More details at
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions/auto-move-windows

>>> Now, I am really thing to move back to 3.2.0 in order to be able to
>>> use CoverflowAltTab.
>>> Unless someone can have a quick look why it doesn't work on 3.2.2.1.
>>
>> Until last update, it was marked only compatible with 3.2.1, now it
>> should work on all 3.2.*.
> Can I check this?

Go at extensions.gnome.org and see if the extension is marked compatible or now.
Or open gnome-tweak-tool and see if the extension is marked out of date.

>> I guess it was only a metadata error.
>>
>> Giovanni
> On you first e-mail you mentioned about entering in failback mode. How
> do i enable this?
> Googling about it came across with the following
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name 'gnome-fallback'
>
> is this the correct way?

Yep, this is how you enable fallback mode if you don't have a
graphical desktop. Otherwise you can open System Settings -> Detail
(System Info in 3.2) -> Graphics -> Forced Fallback Mode.

Giovanni