Re: Using GNOME Shell on a remote display

On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 00:26 +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> I've recently attempted running a full GNOME 3 session on a remote display,
> and I've now hit a pretty big roadblock.
> My use case for doing this is that I'm running Fedora 17 as a
> fully-virtualized domU on Xen and I figured I might get slightly better
> performance if the session used the dom0's display directly instead of
> emulating a VESA card and forcing me to connect via VNC.
> I don't have a solid background in X programming, but these error messages,
> along with a bit of searching around the net, have led me to believe that
> the problem is caused by the fact that the XShm extension doesn't work for
> remote displays.

Correct.  XShm is "shared memory" as in SysV IPC.  It doesn't work over
a network, it is a local operation.

> Is there a way to prevent GNOME Shell from using that extension?

I don't know.  Perhaps the OpenGL operations require XShm??

> If that's
> not the case, how difficult would it be to add support for it? My use case
> might be pretty specific, but I'm sure people deploying thin clients would
> love to be able to run GNOME Shell on a remote display.

Can you possibly test with XDMCP / display-forwarding?  Check and see if
anyone has GNOME Shell working in an LTSP environment - if that works
then it should work.

> PS: Please CC: me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Really, I'll do to it, but that is rude and selfish.  If you want to use
the list you should subscribe.