Using GNOME Shell on a remote display

Hi,

I've recently attempted running a full GNOME 3 session on a remote display,
and I've now hit a pretty big roadblock.

My use case for doing this is that I'm running Fedora 17 as a
fully-virtualized domU on Xen and I figured I might get slightly better
performance if the session used the dom0's display directly instead of
emulating a VESA card and forcing me to connect via VNC.

I can get a fully working fallback session by setting the DISPLAY
environment variable to a suitable value, enabling ssh's X forwarding and
executing gnome-session from inside the domU, so the building blocks are
there. As soon as I launch gnome-shell, however, I get the following
error messages:

-----
  Window manager warning: Log level 16: NOTE: Not using GLX TFP!

  Window manager warning: Log level 16: The program 'gnome-shell' received
  an X Window System error.
  The error was 'BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)'.
    (Details: serial 1364 error_code 148 request_code 140 minor_code 4)
     To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
     variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
-----

I don't have a solid background in X programming, but these error messages,
along with a bit of searching around the net, have led me to believe that
the problem is caused by the fact that the XShm extension doesn't work for
remote displays.

Is there a way to prevent GNOME Shell from using that extension? If that's
not the case, how difficult would it be to add support for it? My use case
might be pretty specific, but I'm sure people deploying thin clients would
love to be able to run GNOME Shell on a remote display.

Cheers.

PS: Please CC: me as I'm not subscribed to the list.
--
Andrea Bolognani <eof kiyuko org>