How should gdm gnome-shell start pulseaudio?

Does anyone know how pulseaudio should be started? In particular, gdm's special-mode one? On my box, pulseaudio is not running (or dying) for the gdm+gnome-shell session, although it *really* wants it. All normal users are fine.

The side effect is that, some while after logging in, or possibly as I switch users, I get an entry in /var/log/messages every few seconds about a pulseaudio authorisation error. I believe I have tracked these down to gdm's gnome-shell & gnome-settings-daemon trying to talk to *my* login's pulseaudio (as it's the first login and is sitting on the default port?).

I can stop the errors by manually running a pulseaudio as gdm with the right environment, but that usually goes away after a while (and doesn't respawn) :-/

And, as it happens, I don't even have a permanent gdm gnome-shell at this moment; I don't know why it's now gone (it's usually there while others are logged in.

--
[phoenix@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[phoenix@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature