(o_
//\  Regards, Groeten,
V_/_ Bas Burger.

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:01:32 -0400
"Jasper St. Pierre" <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:

> ( First of all, Florian, please try to reply on-list :) )

Florian probably replied sender instead of reply all, so I corrected
it...

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Yaa101 <yaa101 xs4all nl> wrote:
> >
> > So what you say is that all the widgets from GKT+ itself are
> > offlimit for us gjs users?
>
> Not all GTK+ widgets are off-limits. Just new top-level windows. And
> that's not for gjs users, that's only when running gnome-shell
> extensions, as they run in-process.
>
> > Shame, now I have to finish my selfmade filechooser, I started on
> > that after I tried the Gtk.fileChooser for the first time.
>
> You shouldn't have to. Why do you want to launch a Gtk.FileChooser
> from a gnome-shell extension?

Because I have a settings dialog with my extension and in there a user
has to fill a directory setting, so my thinking was, why not let a
user choose a directory instead of having that user fill in a
potentially wrong path.

I am 3/4 there, the dialog works well but misses the places listbox yet.
That is why the questions of a scrolling table in the other mail.

> > I thought it was my coding that made the lockup, so I tried to
> > create a js filechooser, today I tried to revisit the attempt on
> > Gtk.fileChooser as I made a lot of progress last 2 weeks on gjs.
> >
> > Can you explain more about the following?
> >
> >> Note that there is
> >> support for extension preferences, which run in a separate process.
>
> Please see my blog post at:
> http://blog.mecheye.net/2012/02/more-extension-api-breaks/
>
> Basically, you create a file called 'prefs.js', which inside of it has
> a function named 'buildPrefsWidget', which returns some form of
> GtkWidget. Some extensions already have preferences -- go to your
> Installed Extensions on the website. Do any extensions have a green
> preferences icon next to them?

No none, only one not working extension (called Media player indicator)
has a blue button (with a tools icon) in front of it, but it does not
do anything.

I go read your post... So much to learn still...