Standardization of Function Keys

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:

> Independently from whether this is a good idea or not, this is nothing
> a window manager can handle - in general, we can't even tell whether a
> window actually has a menubar(*) in the first place, and even if we
> could, we still didn't have any way to make the application pop up the
> correct menu.
>
> So this would have to be implemented either at toolkit level or in the
> applications themselves - therefore the gtk-devel and desktop-devel
> mailing lists are more appropriate for this discussion.

Makes sense. I will bring up the idea there. Thanks.

> Also F9 to view/hide sidebars is pretty common for GNOME applications,
> and GTK+ uses F10 to open the first menu of the menubar (shift-F10 for
> context menus). So even if the behavior could be implemented in the
> window manager - it conflicts with applications and the toolkit, so
> desktop-devel and gtk-devel need to be involved :-)

Never heard of those, but it's interesting that some thought F10 was a
good idea. It's like an extra extra light version of what I am
suggesting. F10 would be my F1 ;-)

> But note that with the design direction GNOME is taking, traditional
> menu bars are going away completely for most applications (except for
> applications with a lot of complexity like Office and Gimp).

So I hear. That's seems like a bad idea to me. I'm all for intuitive
interfaces, but I also think its good to have the reference that a set
a menus provides to gice you an idea of what's possible.

Thanks.

--
Sorry, says the barman, we don't serve neutrinos. A neutrino walks into a bar.

Trans <transfire gmail com>
7r4n5.com      http://7r4n5.com