Re: Feature proposal: Save/restore-at-login workspace state.

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 13:21 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> I think that's one of the advantages of "suspend", you don't really
> need to save state, it'll always be there.  GNOME 3 encourages suspend
> explicitly.
>
> sri

I was hoping not to read that argument :P

I know that suspend is encouraged, and I'm not against, but as we all
know, this is not the most reliable feature of the GNU/Linux world...

I think I'm lucky: the only problem I experience after waking up my
laptop is that the screen brightness controls stop working until reboot
but I'm never totally confident when I have to put my laptop to sleep...

And I agree that suspending is a better solution than my proposal for
maintaining a workspace state, but in the same way that we still can
power off the computer, we might have another (maybe auxiliar*) way to
have a minimal support of resuming states/tasks.

*What if I'm in a long travel, I'm really out of battery and I don't
know when I'm going to be able to plug my computer to a power source? I
don't know, maybe I'm a bit paranoic :P

Thank you for reading :)