Sensors Extension.

I've just installed Gnome Shell as part of a F15 build, it's the first
time I've played with it and have pretty much ignored the build up as
I prefer to judge these things myself.

While I'm not totally comfortable yet with the changes I'm willing to
use it for a couple of weeks before making decisions as to whether
I'll stick with it or not.  I've been using F14 with a Compiz desktop
for 2-3 years now.

I've read assorted arguments in assorted threads regarding human
multitasking capabilities and frankly don't want to get into those
arguments.

What I don't understand however is the removal of critical/semi
critical indicators from the system without any replacement extensions
being available and if I've read some mailing list threads correctly
no intention to provide replacements.

Specifically the removal of the hardware monitoring and CPU, Network
etc.... monitoring applets I just do not understand the reasoning
behind.  There is a quantum difference between multi tasking and
process/activity monitoring.  I've many times been working on one of
my machines when a panel indicator has drawn my attention to something
that needed further investigation, sometimes without merit, on a
couple of occasions it's possibly saved machines.

There's plenty of space on the top bar to allow them, so what's the logic?

Also is there a way to change to format of the date/time on the top
bar?  I prefer to use a 12 hour clock with an am/pm suffix and no
leading zeros.

Thanks and I will state I've been impressed with the stability, more
eye candy would be nice though.