GNOME 3 & nVidia

There is the statement "Nvidia binary drivers (slow if you have an old
driver)": What is "old"?

I have an odd issue with multi-head.  If I connect a second monitor to
my laptop and run nvidia-settings I can enable the external display as
"TwinView" and it comes up available as a second display under GNOME3
[1].  The primary display - the one with the GNOME3 panel - scrolls as
workspaces while the second display behaves as a workspace unto itself
(it doesn't scroll with the other display).  This works really well, it
is fast and smooth.  BUT if I lock the display it goes to being actual
Twin-View where the external display is a mirror of the 'internal'
display.  If in nvidia-settings I disable the external display and go
back to TwinView I get the two separate displays behaviour.  Odd, I
think.

If I set the display as Separate-X-server [the other option from
Disabled and TwinView] and restart X... I end up in unaccelerated
fall-back mode.

[1] I'm aware that this is not normal TwinView behavior.

NVIDIA Driver 270.41.06 Linux-x86_64 X.Org 1.9.3 (10903000)
GeForce GT 230M openSUSE 11.4