Re: gnome-shell-list Digest, Vol 31, Issue 107

Although you can change this behaviour with an extension, I tend to agree.
If only one option, Power Off should be the one appearing by default.
In fact I see no compelling reason to have only one option. I would rather have all the power option appearing in the menu than the dialog asking you to confirm  that you really intended to click on the Power Off button (but I'm getting off topic here).
I have activated the extension, and I see the Suspend, Hibernate, Power Off buttons ... and that is not in the slightest a cluttered menu. It remains quite simple in fact.

I understand the benefits of both approach, but I think the extension and the core functions should be reversed. The default should show the Suspend and Power Off buttons, and the extension should allow me to show only the Suspend button (and the Power one by pressing Alt).

-Cyril

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 21:54 +0100, Martin Häsler wrote:
On 05/24/2011 04:50 PM, gnome-shell-list-request gnome org wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 08:03:11 -0500
> From: Ryan Peters<sloshy45 sbcglobal net>
> To: "Allan E. Registos\(x-mail\)"<allan_registos lavabit com>,
> 	gnome-shell-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: The good, the bad, the insane
>
> On 05/23/2011 06:47 PM, Allan E. Registos(x-mail) wrote:
>> On Monday, 23 May, 2011 10:13 PM, Ryan Peters wrote:
>> Pressing the alt-button shows the Power Off button, logging out so
>> that you can shutdown requires more work and delay especially after
>> work where a quick shutdown is badly needed. That design decision
>> again was discussed in length and that is invalid, it works obviously
>> to the designer's laptops while the rest of the desktop world are
>> suffering.
> When was this made "invalid"; are there plans to reverse the decision? I
> haven't read of this. Or, by "invalid", do you mean "we would like it
> the other way"? I'm not saying you're wrong, I only want to clarify, as
> I haven't read anything about the decision being reversed. Also, I use a
> desktop, and I can't see how holding the Alt key for a second or logging
> out is really such a big deal. It's unnecessary, sure, but it isn't
> exactly "the end of the world" as I hear so many people saying. It
> reminds me of the decision to not use minimize/maximize buttons by
> default; you can still maximize other ways, and it makes the desktop
> feel more consistent and minimal by default.
>
> How much harder is it to press the Alt key and click? I don't mean to
> sound rude, and I'm sorry if I come across as that, but it really is an
> incredibly small regression if you think about it, relative to some
> other problems like over-crowded settings dialogs not being visible on
> small screens. Even yelp, the GNOME 3 help program, tells users how to
> shut down (with the Alt key as well as the preferred method), so the new
> behavior is just as discoverable as any other keyboard shortcut.
Of course it's not hard to press the Alt key, it just doesn't make any
sense.
And you really expect a user to open yelp in order to find out, how to
power off his system ?
Why is there a need to only have one option in the user menu ? a menu you
open maybe once or twice a day ?
If you only want one option, default should be Power Off, because you can
suspend your laptop by closing the lid or with a function Key or
Hardware button.

Martin