Re: Workspaces slowing me down.

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr> wrote:
Le samedi 14 mai 2011 à 10:51 -0400, G. Michael Carter a écrit :
> Usually I work on dual 24" monitors so I'll have maybe 2 virtual
> windows open.  But I was working on a laptop all this week and with
> the 15" screen I've had about 9 workspaces going.
>

> Moving between them I find is slowing me down in Gnome 3.
>

> One thing slowing me down is when I need to go from 1 to 9.
In System Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts->Navigation, you can set
keybindings to move to workspaces. Use something involving numbers, and
you'll be able to get directly to the workspace you want.

That's probably the best solution, since people using many workspaces
are relatively rare, and are able to customize their keybindings. Most
users are likely to use only a few of them (I think, but of course I've
no data on that).

9 is a lot of desktops!  I use a max of 6 I believe.  I never used the grid mode because it started getting complicated on where all my windows was.  So then I send up panning around looking for whatever window I wanted.  Honestly, I don't know if there is a particularly efficient way to deal with 9 workspaces that doesn't involve putting numbers or some other special function to deal with your particular workflow.

sri