Taskbar / Temporal Ordering.

Hello,

I didn't want to contribute to the other thread; but I believe I know what makes the taskbar so attractive to some and not others.

I've been trying to use Gnome shell since the fairly early days of last spring, when it first showed up in Debian-unstable. Unlike others, even after weeks and weeks, I could not be anywhere near as efficient with Window management as with Gnome 2.

What happens when I need to find a window is maybe a little different than most. The little voice in my head says "It's in the first Terminal window launched", and my eyes scan from the left to the right of the task list until the appropriate icon is found.

I think that this kind of temporal "spatiality" is what I've been missing in The Shell. Perhaps others are, as well.

I've also owned a Mac for over two years, and it's the same situation. The experience is certainly better in the shell with the workspaces and alt-Tab structure hierarchy, but it takes me a lot longer to find the window I need.

--Pat