Why Favorites are not on the top bar?

As I promised, one issue per email.

In Gnome 2, I put my often-used apps on the top bar,
which made it *very* easy to launch them.

Gnome 3 implements it differently, as Favorites.

But for some reason, Favorites are not on the main
screen, they need to be accessed via Expose.

Since top bar still exists, and the place where icons used to be
now is not used for anything, what about making it possible
to have Favorites *there*?

(On a side note, I like the decision to make Favorites
aware that application is already running, and not launching another
copy in this case, but switching to the running app's window.)

--
vda