wifi and bluetooth icons on the panel

Hi!
I noticed that when installing gnome-shell from the Ubuntu ppa, there is no icon on the top panel for wifi and bluetooth, as there are in other editions (both openSuSe and Fedore, as i remember). I thought it was a Ubuntu specific issue, but i noticed that on screenshots made under Debian testing, these icons are also missing. Is this some package version problem? Would be nice to control the networks from the panel, as before.

Thx.