Latest version of Gnome shell is terrible

Earlier today (03/19/11) I finally got gnome shell to build and I am immensely dissapointed.  I had used it previously when I installed it from the Ubuntu Software Center and fell in love with it.  I have yet figured out how to get to file manager in the new version short of placing a folder on the desktop and opening that, and when I tried to open a new terminal window I clicked on terminal in the applications menu and it opened the original window instead of a new one.  Also much of the system menu is no longer displayed like there used to be in the old version of gnome shell.  Also I hate the fact that you have to choose whether to show your windows or applications.  Since the favorites are the only things shown in window mode of the activities menu the favorites icons are needlessly large and ugly.  To add to it all, the default window dressings are quite unattractive and are missing the maximise, minimise, and menu buttons.  It seems as if the newest version of gnome shell is meant for netbooks like unity, some of us still have proper desktops and laptops, so we still need a window manager designed for a screen larger than 10.1 inches.  I could go on for quite some time about things I don't like about what I am currently seeing from gnome 3, but all I really need to say is bring the old version of gnome 3 back (the one currently on Ubuntu Software Center).  Thanks.