Re: Shelling Epiphany

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
>> = Let the user switch to a specific epiphany's opened site using g-s
>> facilities =
>> I am using the term site here, instead of tab, because it is not really
>> clear we should to keep the tabs management in ephy IMHO.
>> Tabs and notebooks are just a way to have application-local window
>> management, mostly duplicating wms/shells facilities, compensating for
>> their missing features (windows grouping for instance).
>> Re-giving that responsibility to the shell seems like a natural thing to
>> do, reducing the number of different ways to switch to a specific
>> site/app/context.
>> It seems the design team shares this opinion, as seen in
>> http://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design/blobs/raw/master/mockups/epiphany/epiphany2.png .
>
> That particular design was my effort. I wouldn't say it was the view of
> the 'team' ;) (though one or two people did seem to like it). The way I
> left things, I was hoping for a prototype to do some user testing with.
> (The design needs a lot more work, too.) That said, I'm of the opinion
> that tabs don't make a huge amount of sense in the context of the shell.

I think it's a really interesting idea, similar windows could be
grouped and 'tabbed' and the tabs themselves could be implemented
directly inside the window titlebar. If done correctly, it would save
every app ever from having to reimplement tabs over and over and over.
It sounds to me like an opportunity to increase the overall quality of
the tabbing experience in all apps at once.

I'm thinking much larger than just Epiphany here. gnome-terminal and
gedit could also benefit from this kind of treatment.

--
http://exolucere.ca