Re: gnome-shell-list Digest, Vol 29, Issue 49

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:36:58 -0700
From: Jeffery Olson<olson jeffery gmail com>
To: gnome-shell-list gnome org
Subject: mutter tiling
The risk that you're describing, there's a set of tools you can
develop to hedge against this very eventuality. They're called unit
tests. This is probably a textbook example for why unit tests are
important, especially in a dynamic language environment.

First, I'm sorry, if this thread stepped some people on the feet. I didn't want to say nobody should use Javascript in general for plugins. I just think anybody should be allowed to use the language he wants. If you like Javascript this is okay with me.

But to reply to your statement above, I do not think that unit testing for GUI-heavy code is practical, because you cannot let the testing framework do the user actions necessary to reach certain segments of code. Of course you can build workarounds, by calling methods directly, triggering signals yourself, etc., but this will become painful. I personally don't want to go through this, just to have something that I get with a statically typed language for free. But maybe this is just taste. As I said, anyone should use the framework he likes best.

To this end, I'll even volunteer up my repo for the tiling window
management extensive I've been working on (but didn't feel was ready
for a release, yet). It's very rough and needs docs, still (and I
believe it needs to be updated to the latest gnome-shell release in
the metadata.json.. I haven't messed with it in a few weeks) :

https://github.com/olsonjeffery/shellshock

I used to have a custom mutter branch with the C-extensions I needed
to make this extension work, but I believe my changes have been
accepted as patches, so it should work ootb. It's very rough around
the edges, still. But it's a start, I think. And everything needed to
have automatic tiling (the workspace added/removed events, window
add/remove events, etc) is all there in the gnome-shell API, just not
wired in.

If anyone's interested in learning more about the code I've submitted
and how to leverage it, I can try and add some README info.

Thanks, good to know that there is already something. I will certainly check it out.