Re: mutter tiling

On 16.03.2011 23:23, Peder Refsnes wrote:
Hi.

My name is Peder Refsnes. I recently finished a master degree in computer science and just landed my first job doing C++ development.

I recently joined the gnome mailing lists to see if anyone could point me in the right direction regarding implementing tiling support in mutter. As luck would have it, your mail announcing your contribution was the first that ticked in.
I've been playing around with it and it seems very promising. Just wanted to let you know that if you wanted any help on the project I'd be more than happy to give it a shot.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards
Peder
Hi Peder,

thank you for your offer. Yes, any help is very welcome. At the moment design issues are on top. We have to decide if it better to do this as a gnome-shell extension. Me personally, I'm not in favor of writing writing it in Javascript because of the dynamic typing (will be painfull to find problems caused by changed Mutter bindings). I think a more sensible language choice for an extension would be Vala. Does someone know, if creating shell-extensions in Vala works also? Is the 'global'-object accessible?

On the other hand Mutter itself certainly needs some nontrivial changes. So the choice seems to be between - the easy method of continuing on an own Mutter branch (but which might never be merged back into mainline) - or trying to keep the changes to Mutter to the absolute minimum necessary to do the rest in a shell plugin (and maybe still having to do changes to Mutter which will not be merged into mainline)

Right now I'm stuck somewhat stuck in analysis-paralysis (looking at the design of Mutter and the Shell-Extension API). I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has an idea.

Best,

Oliver