Re: Window controls for GNOME 3

On 1 Mar 2011, at 21:36, William Jon McCann wrote:

> I don't have any plans to drop the symbolic close button but some
> successful designs have done this already.  WebOS uses a close gesture
> and no on screen explicit controls.  iOS on iPad mostly does away will
> all forms of window management but in some cases (secondary windows)
> uses a "Done" button instead of the symbolic version.

Most secondary windows in GNOME 2.x were never supposed to have a symbolic close button anyway (at least from the HIG/usability team's POV), because for those windows where there's a choice of dismissal options, it's not clear whether closing the window that way means 'OK' or 'Cancel', for example.

For many years I was told it was a metacity bug that we couldn't hide it altogether, but I don't know whether that was eventually fixed -- I haven't chased it up for a while :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation Ireland Ltd.
mailto:calum benson oracle com         Solaris Desktop Team

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.