Re: Please Help - How to change some behavior

Thanks,

The extensions will really help, but I hope that they change the default static behavior.

About the last question, I was only saying that I prefer the old Gnome2 system configuration,
than the new one. Some changes in interface is OK, and welcomed. But, the keyboard in two places is really a bad choice. Its not logical,  give no advance, and work against users.

I really hope, that developers change the way for interface decisions making.
I am a long time Linux user, I was a KDE user, that left the KDE boat, like many users.
(Torvalds was one). Now, I am really lost, like many users I feel that the fork Gnome-shell and Unity does not respond to the users needs and both are incomplete, buggy.
Now Canonical are asking to users to help and make suggestions.
I hope, that Gnome3 people did the same, asking to users to send suggestions.

I think that could be placed a vote system for suggestions and mock-ups.
Otherwise, we will see more forks. :(

Thanks for all.

Job

2011/6/19 Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr>
Le jeudi 16 juin 2011 à 19:21 -0300, Job a écrit :
> Dear Gnome-Shell People,
>
> I would like to know
>
> 1 - How to change the position of Left Bar, its very important to me,
> because I can see only with the right eye.
>

> 2 - How to access the Access Bar without resizing  others windows and
> enter in window selection. The resizing effect, are very stressful,
> for my impaired vision.
For 1 and 2, I think you should try the dock extension. It will allow
you to show the dash (official name of the bar) al the time, and to put
it on the right side of the screen.
See https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions

> 3 - Has one way to return the keyboard settings to be in keyboard
> configuration? Its very complicated to change with this WindowsXP
>  like way in Gnome3. Here in Brasil, its common we have two keyboard
> layouts, since some Laptops come with US layout and many time people
> use another keyboard (ABNT2). I had many users using Gnome2, and will
> be very unpleasant  to explain that keyboard setting its not in the
> keyboard.
You mean in the keyboard control panel ? Yeah, I find it confusing too.
I guess you should file a bug against the gnome-control-center product
in Bugzilla, designers will tell you what they think. Probably, a
shortcut leading people from the Keyboard panel to the Country and
language panel would help.

> 4 - While searching for keyboard, I take a long time to know, that I
> need to click in "all ..." , to access other settings. This is very
> obscure,
> although the one window settings could be ajusted. i will try make a
> mockup to what I think that could be better.
I don't really understand why it would be confusing, but we would need
user testing to check people generally understand how this works.
Anyways, clicking on that button isn't the preferred way of accessing
settings: in the user menu (in the top-right corner), you have System
Settings, which gets you directly to the list of all settings.

> Perhaps, one evolution from the Gnome2 control panel, will be better
> that the current one. Like using  bar access in  one window. is it
> possible, make a extension to change this?
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.

Cheers