Re: desktop scrolling

Clive Wagenaar <clivewagenaar@...> writes:

> Hi
>
> Is there any chance that you could implement changing
> desktops/workspaces via scrolling with the mouse wheel on the desktop?
>
> This feature is available in gnome via compiz, natively in kde and xfce.
>
> For me, it is by far the fastest way to scroll/move from one desktop to
> the next.
>
> Thanks

Personally I think this fits under the extension category better because you
want scrolling on the desktop (which I would love to have too) and Gianluca
wants scrolling in the overview, so having them both packed with Gnome Shell by
default would be a little weird.  Also about it confusing users, a user might be
looking through the options and enable it and not know what it does then leave
it enabled and wonder why their work spaces keep switching (unless it had a very
good description and a little demonstration video type thing like what Mac
has;).  Anyway I just think it would be better as an extension then built into
the shell by default.

I also think Gnome Shell should have an extension manager to browse, add/remove,
enable and disable extensions.  Right now the extensions don't really feel like
they are "part" of Gnome Shell.  But that's a different topic ;)