Re: While we were pouting over taskbars and shutdown options

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 14:07 +0530, Vishnoo wrote:
> Hi,
> Many might have already seen this[1] [2], but just mentioning here so
> that we are aware what others are doing to push the boundaries and not
> staying with "it just works good enough".
<snip>

I does look like M$ knows how to read a gnome-shell list and steal what
people are saying.  Gripes!  They got the roulette workspace animation
correct!  That's what I suggested for Gnome-shell months ago. I like the
way they closely space the UI stubs ... In overview mode, the stubs are
too wide apart.

> But we need to try to improve UI and not just stay stagnant, else we
> would just be playing catch-up for ever.

I think M$ does a lot of borrowing but they pursue finesse/*bling*
*bling* as aggressively as Apple. Why do I get the impression they're
trying to Stop the Linux Guys at their tracks while they are busy
bickering about ... and raising their noses?

> [1]<http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2011/jun11/06-01corporatenews.aspx>
> [2]<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I&feature=youtu.be>

I JUST WISH THE GNOME DESIGNERS WILL GIVE THE COMMUNITY ANOTHER CHANCE
ON DESIGN INPUT AND NOT MAKE THE PRESENT UI FIXED or FINAL (oh well,
seems they did an excellent job in providing the infrastructure for
those brave enough to do an aggressive tweaking). Your product begins to
sell or loose based on first impressions and M$ appears to be working
hard at that (with enhancements to borrowed concepts).  Let the Change
CONTINUE ... its great.  Its better when more crazy design concepts are
on the table coming from more people.  If the core of Gnome-shell is
extremely dynamic (I hope it is), then a lot is possible.  What if I
want my workspace docker on top ... can the Gnome-shell code allow me to
change that while they limit their effort at providing a fair default?
That kind of flexibility is what is needed ... then let the users play
'CHOOSE!'