Re: Window List Extension

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo member fsf org> wrote:
Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> writes:

>>  - if the system is under heavy load, I really don't enjoy switching to
>>    the overview
>>
> You want notification if the system is behaving out of spec really.

A system under heavy load is out of spec?

Out of spec of what is normal for you.  So if you're doing heavy cpu things then maybe 90% cpu utilization is okay, but 100% utilization of two of your cpus might raise your eyebrows.  What would be out of spec for you in your workflow?

I frequently have quite expensive tasks: compiling, graph querying,
graph transformations, etc.  Sure, that's not the usual web-browsing and
letter-writing kind of stuff, but that shouldn't exclude me from using
GNOME3.  (Well, not that it would do. :-))

Why did you assume that this is something exclusionary?  I'm trying to say that system behaviour tuned relative to your workflow integrates better with GNOME 3 design and really what we should be shooting for.

And nothing would be more inconvenient than having notifications for
cpu-intensive tasks.  Here, the relation between intendedly
cpu-intensive task and freaked out process is something like 1000 to 1.

See my point above about being relatively out of spec for your workflow.

sri