Re: Chatting on Gnome-shell

On 01/20/2011 06:20 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Onyeibo Oku <twohotis gmail com
<mailto:twohotis gmail com>> wrote:

    After a chat session with a friend while running Gnome-shell, I
    decided to illustrate my previous suggestions.  I have attached a
    screenshot of my chat (with his permission) here:
    http://picturepush.com/public/4899595

    My observations once again:
    1. Its hard to differentiate between my text and his.
    2. The gradients behind the text are supposed to fix the problem in
    #1 but they don't do that effectively.  They add to the visual chaos.

    My Suggestion ... see:
    http://picturepush.com/public/4899601
    1. I think coloured and/or bold text will do it better
    2. Feature requests:  Add the fading to the top of the text scroll
    as the text leaves the chat dialogue. Make the Icon more prominent,
    indent text to the right if necessary, to allow an enhanced icon.
      If it sticks out, COOOOOL!.

I'd file a bug in bugzilla so that someone working on gnome-shell can
address it.

Okay, I'll try that

 Although I'm not *quite* sure if this is gnome-shell or
empathy (I assume you;'re using empathy?)

Its definitely gnome-shell (front-end) but yeah, ... its using empathy at the rear. Which reminds me, there seems to be a 'battle of wills' going on between the two ...about who gets to be seen. Empathy wants to show its face sometimes and when it succeeds there is usually a quirky performance in Gnome-shell. So ... I really don't understand what the deal is between Gnome-shell people and empathy hackers. I like the front-end ... it removes the clutter (floating dialogues add to visual madness!). However, the front-end looks dead and robotic without the emoticons and colours.

How about trying to fix it?
  We can help.

Wow ... I'm just one Architect/designer/cg-artist who likes to play with computers. I only know enough coding to automate tasks in my work. C, C++, and C# is simply not my area.

sri

Onyeibo