Re: GNOME Shell on llvmpipe?

Hi Emmanuele!

> as far as I know, llvmpipe doesn't support texture-from-pixmap, thus
> making a compositor based on it fairly difficult. not impossible, just
> unbearably slow.
>
> the same applies to Mesa swrast, which doesn't expose the required GLX
> support.

Quoting from the Phoronix article[1] (not idea if this is correct):
"Fortunately, Red Hat's David Airlie has now created a patch that adds the
texture from pixmap (TFP) support to Mesa's software rasterizer (the
"swrast" driver). The patch was published this morning on the mesa-dev
mailing list. David mentions with this patch he can "run gnome-shell
inside Xephyr slowly. I've no idea why I did it, and g-s has other
rendering issues under swrast, but it might be useful to hook up llvmpipe
later. I've no idea if I even want to commit it at this point."

This patch is just a couple dozen lines of code and obviously isn't really
beneficial quite yet but will hopefully be once hooked into LLVMpipe and
the other GNOME Shell issues are addressed."

So, I guess that's the point to start *if* somebody is interested.

Regards,
Johannes

[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI3NQ