Re: GNOME Shell on llvmpipe?

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 15:47 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi, all. Just wondered - is anyone working with the llvmpipe developers
> to see if GNOME Shell can be made to work with that? Phoronix has tested
> it a couple of times and found it didn't work -
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI3NQ ,
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIxMw . If Shell
> could be made to run on llvmpipe it'd be quite a useful fallback for
> cases where accelerated drivers are buggy / unavailable, I guess, though
> it may not be possible to make it fast enough to run on older systems.

as far as I know, llvmpipe doesn't support texture-from-pixmap, thus
making a compositor based on it fairly difficult. not impossible, just
unbearably slow.

the same applies to Mesa swrast, which doesn't expose the required GLX
support.

remember: a compositor is *not* a game, even if they both use OpenGL.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name