Re: GNOME Shell on llvmpipe?

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 11:48 -0600, Jason D. Clinton wrote:

> Here is how I would read the messaging on that if it were included in
> marketing:
>
> "Sorry that your dedicated graphics processor doesn't work but if you
> have a /really/ fast computer, we'll leave your graphics card idle and
> use one of your CPU's to render the UI. Your battery life will suffer
> substantially."
>
> It does appeal to my sense of geekiness but I don't see it being a
> feature that we would mention even if it were implemented/worked on.

Sure. It's a fallback, not a feature. It'd just mean that 'my graphics
card driver sucks' results in 'I can run Shell' (as long as the system's
got a decent CPU) rather than 'hello, gnome-panel!'.

I'm not really 'suggesting' it or saying it's something that MUST BE
DONE!, I was just curious whether it was something anyone had looked at.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey