Re: GNOME Shell on llvmpipe?

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 09:47, Adam Williamson <awilliam redhat com> wrote:
Hi, all. Just wondered - is anyone working with the llvmpipe developers
to see if GNOME Shell can be made to work with that? Phoronix has tested
it a couple of times and found it didn't work -
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI3NQ ,
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIxMw . If Shell
could be made to run on llvmpipe it'd be quite a useful fallback for
cases where accelerated drivers are buggy / unavailable, I guess, though
it may not be possible to make it fast enough to run on older systems.

Here is how I would read the messaging on that if it were included in marketing:

"Sorry that your dedicated graphics processor doesn't work but if you have a /really/ fast computer, we'll leave your graphics card idle and use one of your CPU's to render the UI. Your battery life will suffer substantially."

It does appeal to my sense of geekiness but I don't see it being a feature that we would mention even if it were implemented/worked on.