Cannot run GNOME Shell after a successful build

On Thursday, 13 January, 2011 08:25 AM, Allan E. Registos wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 January, 2011 05:41 PM, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 11:26 +0800, Allan E. Registos wrote:

From: "Robert Park" <rbpark exolucere ca>
To: "Allan E. Registos" <allan registos smpc steniel com ph>
Cc: "gnome-shell-list" <gnome-shell-list gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:27:34 AM
Subject: Re: jhbuild error

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Allan E. Registos
<allan registos smpc steniel com ph> wrote:
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in po/eu.po
Every now and then I'll see a merge conflict in some package or
other.
gdk-pixbuf has an interesting issue in its build system; it updates the
translation files at every full build, instead of doing so only on
distcheck (i.e. when preparing the release tarballs).

It makes no sense to me because I'm not actually developing any of
these packages, so I don't understand why a pristine source tree
would
have a merge conflict with itself, but invariably I can just choose
option 6, "wipe directory and start over", and after that it's able
check out and build successfully.
I understand, starting over would be the quickest fix, but its not an
option for those with slow connections. Anyway, option 6 is worth to
try.
no need to clear the directory; go inside it (use the "shell" option)
and do:

  $ git checkout -f
  $ git clean -xdf

then exit and restart from the configure phase.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

Thanks...
The build was successful, but I can't run the shell with this command: ./gnome-shell --replace.
Since I am on the KDE(Which I will explain below why) I can't paste the exact error message for now, but it says something like this:

display already active on 0: or a window manager is currently active, or something like that, and it says that I need to have this switch --replace , when in fact I already have.

Following these commands:
ln -s ~/gnome-shell/install/share/applications/gnome-shell.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-shell.desktop

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager "gnome-shell" -t string

Logout then login, shows me a desktop with a wallpaper without a shell or a panel. Even Alt-F2 won't work, so I press CTRL-ALT+Backspace again and use the KDE session to compose this mail.

I think I need to get back to the GNOME 2.x session first. Anyone knows what happened?

Cheers,
Allan

Got it back to a GNOME 2 session, the exact error:

./gnome-shell --replace
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module": libpk-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
mutter: symbol lookup error: /home/allan.registos/gnome-shell/install/lib64/gtk-3.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: undefined symbol: gtk_quit_add
[allan.registos@developer src]$ Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running.
gtk-window-decorator: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a decoration manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current decoration manager.
compiz (core) - Error: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
[allan.registos@developer src]$