Re: Activity Bar Panel Provides Little Utility, Takes Up Space, And is Distracting

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Robert Park <rbpark exolucere ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Mystilleef <mystilleef gmail com> wrote:
>> The activity bar or top panel consumes screen space for no
>> critical reason. The information provided by the activity
>> bar is not something users need to be persistently inundated
>> with. For example, I doubt any of us care if our wireless
>> signal powers up or down one level.
>
> Well, no, but I'll scream bloody murder if there's not a clock visible
> at all times. I refuse to have to click a button in order to see a
> clock.

Fair enough. But do we, or users, spend a significant portion of our
desktop activity staring at the clock? Isn't the clock in many cases a
distraction when we need to get work done?

>> If I were to design a desktop shell, static top panels and
>> menubars would be the first things to go. They take up space
>> and provide very little utility.
>
> Didn't you get the memo? We're trying to mimic OSX as closely as possible. ;-)

My sarcasm detector is faulty. Are you serious?