Re: When UI Enhancements go bad...

On sam., 2011-02-26 at 21:11 +0100, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Gendre Sebastien <korbe romandie com>
> wrote:
>

>         If I undestand, Eclipse use pop-up windows instead of simple
>         shilde windows?
>

> If it has always worked in every other DE and Gnome Shell breaks it
> now? To say that is the app's problem would be a bit arrogant, don't
> you think?
No, that's a fair question. The Shell radicalknowly changes the behavior
of dialogs, thus it may unveil small issues in apps that weren't
experienced with other window managers because they behave very
similarly in that regard. It's possible that the windows that don't work
with the new design should be set up differently by Eclipse. Of course,
it may also be a problem with the Shell, but you cannot be sure in
advance.

I think some of the Shell's developers are using Eclipse, so they should
be able to debug this problem. Else, you'll have to provide screenshots
and run 'xprop' on the incriminated dialogs so that they have enough
information. Anyway, a bug report is probably a better place for this
kind of thing.

Regards