Re: Window controls for GNOME 3

On 25/02/11 02:20 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
So out of curiosity, what sort of  tasks do both you and Robert do if
you don't mind me being nosy?

Normal day-to-day work and development. I have tonnes of windows opened, because I have to.

I alt-tab between windows (Process/Window Grouping makes this a real pain), minimize them when I need to focus (mentally). When I don't need one (usually a browser), I use Ctrl-W or Ctrl-Q to close it. I only use the close button when my left hand isn't free, in fact (coffee?). Occasionally alt-F4 is appropriate if the others aren't implemented and my hands are already on the keyboard.

When there's a terminal with an "ssh -X" session, I don't care to have it on my desktop. Same with the output from the programs I'm working on (unless they crash and I have to review).

I depend on the panel list of icons, because they show me a one-to-one mapping of my windows, minimized or not, *in the order I opened them*. This is where the Win7 strip definitely doesn't cut it for me, gnome-shell makes it much more difficult, and MacOSX makes me somewhat unproductive.

Lastly, I absolutely hate virtual desktops. That might be an overstatement, but I avoid using them. Things get lost very easily, and it's a pain to set them up on every boot. I find a single desktop over two monitors the right balance. I'll keep a blank extra virtual desktop for when I need to quickly do something in programs that open way too many windows, like Gimp. That last example is the only thing I like about the concept of workspaces in Mutter.

I think a better example, though, might be my brother. He's a uni-student/gamer, and he doesn't like to reboot, ever. He has at any given time, at least 25 Firefox or Chrome tabs open. He has at least 20 windows in his panel as well, right where he likes them. I predict that he would be very uncomfortable without that window-to-panel relation as well.

Thanks,
--Pat