Dash Favorite Icons and Running Applications

Hi guys,

Could someone point me to documentation describing how GNOME Shell
detects which applications are running in the dash (or the file that has
this code, if no documentation exists)?  Certain applications, such as
Emacs, open new icons even when they are favorites.  I'd like to see if
I can fix this for certain apps (maybe even just a whitelist on my own
system).

Cheers,
Patrick Niedzielski

--
Humm and Strumm <http://hummstrumm.blogspot.com/>, a Free Software 3D
adventure game for both Windows and *NIX.

freeSoftwareHacker(); <http://freesoftwarehacker.blogspot.com/>, a blog
about Free Software, music, and law.