Re: queries about gnome-shell and documentation

2011/2/6 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 gmail com>:
> Hi all,
> Newbie to the list and newbie to gnome-shell as well. So my
> queries/questions may be off or seem beginner so be it.
>
> I just browsed the page http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell . The
> documentation feels incomplete.
>
> I could fill in the blanks if need be but would need the expertise of
> the people on the list. Please direct your attention to
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#Building
>
> a. What is JHBuild? There are going to be newbies (like me) who would
> be confused where to get this JHBuild. Searched in the package manager
> and found it is there in Debian.

jhbuild is a script that will automate a lot of the work done when
building gnome.

Because gnome is a moving target, jhbuild is a moving target as well,
so it's best
to install jhbuild from git. The gnome-shell-build-setup.sh script downloads and
installs jhbuild.

> $ aptitude show jhbuild

>  Jhbuild is a program that can be used to pull a number of modules
> from CVS, Subversion, Bazaar and other types of repositories or from
> tarballs and build them in the correct order.  Unlike some build
> scripts, jhbuild lets you specify
>  what modules you want built and it will then go and build those
> modules plus dependencies.
>
> I searched and linked the jhbuild page to the Gnome Shell/Building page .
>
> From the instructions given on the jhbuild it seems that one
> has/should download the jhbuild via git, is this true also for
> gnome-shell ?
>
> This is the jhbuild in my system, for the record I'm on Debian Squeeze.
>
> $ aptitude show jhbuild
> Package: jhbuild
> New: yes
> State: installed
> Automatically installed: no
> Version: 2.29.2-2
>  Jhbuild is a program that can be used to pull a number of modules from CVS,
>  Subversion, Bazaar and other types of repositories or from tarballs and build
>  them in the correct order.  Unlike some build scripts, jhbuild lets you specify
>  what modules you want built and it will then go and build those modules plus
>  dependencies.
>
>  Although jhbuild was originally developed to build GNOME, it is now able to
>  build a number of the modules in freedesktop.org's CVS. Extending it to handle
>  new modules is usually trivial assuming the build infrastructure matches the
>  other modules it handles
>
> b. The actual building itself needs to be broken down. Now I do not
> know whether I need to download the jhbuild first from git (depending
> on the answer given above) and then the script (curl -O
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/plain/tools/build/gnome-shell-build-setup.sh
> /bin/bash gnome-shell-build-setup.sh)
>
> Some clarity here would be good . It would have been nice to have some
> sort of fixed requirements given before one attempts something.  An
> example of what I mean is here :-
>
> http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:Compiling

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/plain/tools/build/gnome-shell-build-setup.sh

That script has the dependencies in a comment and will attempt to give you a way
to install them.

Nothing: http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval