Re: Search through open search providers on the overview pane not working

Thanks. I figured it out. The search was invoking firefox through the command specified for firefox in alacarte(Main Menu). The command in alacarte was a plain '/usr/bin/firefox'. I changed it to '/usr/bin/firefox %u' and now firefox is being invoked with the search url.

I think I had earlier changed the invocation command in alacarte without realizing the consequences.

-Abhijith

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 3:17 AM, Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr> wrote:
Le samedi 03 décembre 2011 à 22:06 +0530, Abhijith Madhav a écrit :
> My default browser is firefox. When I fire a google or a wikipedia
> search from the activities pane, only the browser is launched with a
> blank page. The search is not fired in the browser.I suspect that
> firefox is not being launched with the search url. How can I correct this?
I think you should first look at ~/.xsession-errors to check no related
message is printed there.

If that's not the case, you can add log() lines to debug what happens to
activateResult() in js/ui/search.js (it's
in /usr/share/applications/gnome-shell if you installed it from a
package). More precisely, you can add
log(url)
before the try{}/catch{} block, and something like
log("Block 1")
log("Block 2")
in each part, to check what solution is used to start Firefox.

Cheers