Re: Open with Files?

On 12/08/2011 07:01 AM, Onyeibo Oku wrote:
On 12/08/2011 12:48 PM, Julien Olivier wrote:
What is "Nautilus"? Our file manager has "Files" as the user-visible
name in its .desktop file - that the executable / bugzilla component
happens to be "nautilus" is an implementation detail.
(Note that the strings for the notification actions are build
from .desktop files, for the above "Open with " + the name of the
default application for inode/directory)

Maybe "Files" is not the best name then... WHy not call it "File
browser" or "File manager" instead?

Lets think this through for a moment.  The tooltip on Favourites tab
shows "Firefox" for Firefox, "Empathy" for Empathy, "Shotwell" for
"Shotwell". .....  then "Files" for Nautilus.  What's wrong with calling
the application its real name in this case?

I'll go with Julien's suggestion if "Nautilus" wont sell, but "Files" is
just ambiguity (and confusion) in disguise.
How about a bug / feature request that allows me to say "none of the above", because frequently I don't want the shell to do anything and I have no way to do this without either ejecting the newly mounted drive or opening Nautilus and then killing Nautilus. Historically, I simply clicked on the x in the upper right corner to kill the popup, but that is not available for this if I remember correctly.

I do agree that the name "Files" feels odd and when I first mounted a drive I was thinking "what is this?".

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php