Re: extensions.gnome.org

Il giorno gio, 08/12/2011 alle 23.05 +0100, Bernd Schlapsi ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> how do I correctly define/create an extension which uses gsettings to
> store some extension spezific settings?
> I found the weather-extension on github
> (https://github.com/simon04/gnome-shell-extension-weather)
> and created my extension the same way:
> https://github.com/brot/gnome-shell-extension-sshsearch
>
> But with this way I couldn't copy the extension files into
> ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions and have
> to "install" the extension with configure/make to create the extension
> spezific schema+key(s) in the
> configuration storage system (GSettings).
>
> But as far as I understand I couldn't upload my extension to
> extensions.gnome.org, because the installed
> extensions will be copied to ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions.
>
> So what's the right way to build an extension which needs the option to
> have some user spezific settings
> and should be installed with extensions.gnome.org?

The short answer: you cannot.
The long answer: you cannot in gnome 3.2 (glib 2.30), as GSettings needs
schemas that are installed in $XDG_DATA_DIRS, and any other location
will cause a crash. You can support gnome 3.4 (starting from 3.3.2 /
glib 2.31.4 IIRC), using GSettingsSchemaSource.
You can find an example of this at
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-extensions/tree/lib/convenience.js

Giovanni