Re: Please provide more configurability for workspace

On 12/05/2011 06:12 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 05:50 -0700, Gantry York wrote:
Does this extension allow me to move the workspace manager to a
different location on the screen and give each workspace a name?
....like we could in GNOME2.

No clue.  I haven't tried it.  I don't see the point to static
workspaces.

Installing an extension is not configuration.

Sure it is.

I wouldn't consider adding on to my house "getting the guest room ready for company.

Configuration means to customize what is already there. You know, like being able to move the doc, from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen.

And people install extensions / applications on their tablets, droids,
and ipads every day.  This is a concept people are very familiar with.

  "Install/write an
extension" seems to be a common mantra among the GNOME3 developers.

Of course.  It is the means provided to customize the behavior of GNOME
shell.

OK, so then why not make everything an extension? Why is it that no one has to install a calendar extension, or a notifcations extension?

The bottom line is there are things that we could do in GNOME2 that we can no longer do in GNOME3....at least not without installing an extension that may or may not exist

I do find your attitude pretty ridiculous.

I say, "I want to be able to define static workspaces" - and you say "why would you want to do that."

I say, "there is a difference between augmenting a system and configuration" - and you say, "it's the same thing"

I mean really, is this the attitude that the GNOME Foundation? It seems pretty closed minded, arrogant, and immature.

GNOME3 hasn't hit the corporate market yet; Red Hat isn't using it yet, but I know it is on their radar. It's been discussed where I work. The decision has been tentatively made to use Xfce instead of GNOME3 if GNOME3 abandons the GNOME2 functionality.

Let's hope Red Hat sticks up for their corporate customers.

Different doesn't mean better.