Re: Tiling progress

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Tim Cuthbertson <tim gfxmonk net> wrote:
>>> I tried and liked it, but could not really be bothered to deal with the
>>> required mutter fork longterm.
>> Mmm, fair enough. I had hoped that using 0install would make that
>> easy, but it seems that my compiled version either doesn't work for
>> some or that people aren't keen on using 0install. Or you may have
>> other patches to mutter you want to maintain yourself. I believe
>> someone's keeping an arch package up to date for shellshape-mutter,
>> which is nice of them.
>>> I saw in BZ you are trying to get some of the needed bits upstream. How
>>> is that going?
>> Somewhat glacially, I'm afraid. I guess they're not high priority
>> compared to fixes and 3.2 features, but it's a bit disheartening. I've
>> got one simple patch in so far:
>> But am still waiting on two more that I've submitted patches for:
> ... you didn't attach a patch to this bug?

No specifically. That bug came out of this earlier bug:

I submitted a patch for that one originally, which worked as desired
but was a bit hacky. Owen Taylor had a nicer patch which was applied
to master, but then I realised that this edge case was broken with his
patch (it wasn't broken with my original patch). So I'm not really
sure what to do about that - I was hoping Owen would have an idea but
no word so far.

>> ..and the big one, which I have no idea how to fix - keyboard
>> shortcuts. This seems like the biggest issue of all, that would
>> probably need a decent restructure to accomodate. On the plus side,
>> this is not a unique bug for me - it should affect *anyone* who wants
>> to add new keybindings after compile-time. But I don't know that
>> there's much enthusiasm for allowing that, having received no comments
>> after two months:
> Florian is working on a keybinding rewrite as part of his port to
> gsettings. I don't know how far along that is, or where it is, even.

Ah, that's great news, I'll see if I can find some more info.

 - Tim.