Re: Thumbs up!

All these animations stuff are under the assumption that Nvidia and AMD will going to support Linux in the ages to come, if they do, GNOME Shell is in good track. I have no faith in Open Source 3D capable drivers, if they do, they are light-years behind. I hope(again) the design of the Shell is capable easily to just turn that animations "off" so that we can save resources and use existing cards regardless of their capabilities.

From: "Jürgen Mangler" <juergen mangler univie ac at>
To: "David Prieto" <frandavid100 gmail com>
Cc: gnome-shell-list gnome org, "Bojan Smojver" <bojan rexursive com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:19:09 PM
Subject: Re: Thumbs up!

Configuration options to configure (switch off) all major animations. Then it would be easy to experiment with a new gnome-shell fallback mode. Yes, the animations are well thought out and support the shell experience, but for some of us (old hardware, e.g. mac mini 2, high resolution) they are just destroying it.

Juergen