Re: Thumbs up!

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 08:29 +1000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 08:11 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Designing the Shell not in the way it would work best but in order to
> > work with extremely limited (by modern standards) graphics drivers
> > comes under 'severely cripple the Shell', in my chart.
>
> What is "best"? For one person, this may be "consistent look across all
> systems." For another "maximum number of animations per minute of use."
> I'm leaning towards the former. :-)
>
> Seriously for a second, if Apple managed to have a decent looking and
> behaving desktop on an eMac (and I said before, I'm no big fan of OS X),
> with no hardware acceleration whatsoever and so many years ago, things
> can be done so that the fallback _resembles_ the new mode. It doesn't
> have to be exactly the same, but at least similar.

I have precisely zero experience with Macs, but I read quite a lot of
articles specifically bemoaning the performance of early lower-end OS
X-running systems, particularly graphical performance, so I'm not sure
this example is worth quite as much as you think.

> And this is another problem with the overview. 3D is probably required
> to all all those animations all the time, even when user really wants to
> do something else.

I don't really have the same perception you do here. Shell certainly
doesn't look like an attempt to use as many animations as possible, to
me; it uses them quite sparingly, really.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey