Binding the edge_tiling actions to key shortcuts

I've just spent about an hour staring at the gnome-shell source for
the first time in my life, in order to try to work out how the
edge_tiling stuff works. Number one confusion is that the edge_tiling
configuration key never seems to be read, only mentioned in
gnome-shell.schemas, and linked to another preference of the same name
in main.c.

I actually started in the Javascript, and worked out that that
dropping windows on the screen edges was probably handled in the DND
stuff, which seems to be in dnd.js and xdndHandler.js.

However, I've ended up stuck, with the feeling I often get when
perusing this sort of code: I can follow the plumbing round and round,
but I never seem to reach code that actually does stuff.

I tried searching on "edge", and "maximize" and even " / 2", and have
drawn a blank, hence my post:

Anyone able to point me at the bits I need to make a key shortcut for
the "semi-maximize" effects you can get in Gnome Shell by dragging a
window to the left or right edge of the screen?

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org