Re: Is distractionless shell too distractionless? [Notification from telepathy & evolution]

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 15:34 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:59:06PM +0200, Maciej Marcin Piechotka wrote:
> > I understand that it is challenge to find right balance but could
> > message be more verbose. For example:
>
> IMO GNOME shell should detect user activity. If there is none, then
> depending slightly on the type of message, don't show it.
>
> Not sure how it should work in practice, but IMO should ensure a
> notification could've been read by the user. Make it a bit intelligently
> (maybe depending on the priority of the notification?).

I think it would either require lots of hand-written rules or something
similar to spam filters. For example letter from the same person may be
unimportant right now (grocery list to do after work) and emergency
(house is on fire).

Additionally it would need to detect what I'm doing right now. I'm
watching a film - is it a funny video which can be easily interrupted or
video of work-related conference. I'm writing in gedit - is it program
in my free time, program for work, paper for conference in LaTeX (for
'normal' users I'm writing in OpenOffice/LibreOffice - is it
work-related etc.)...

I'm not saying such AI is not possible or desired but allowing to put
the notification on 'TODO' list would improve the usability while being
implementable in 3.2 timeframe.

Regards